Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Personal Journal Week 6

I really liked this week's chapter of the Happiness Project. I spent most of my teenage years thinking about death and dying, and I think that's what ultimately led me to becoming a happier person. It's almost as if I exhausted the subject for so many years that I finally got sick of it and couldn't care less. (Even though I still find it kind of fascinating, at least I don't spend my days obsessing about it).

I really like how Rubin looked into the lives of people who were less fortunate than her and started to realize she did not have a lot to complain about when it really came down to it. I also liked when she wrote that most people will look at happy people as less intelligent, which I can actually somewhat agree with when thinking about the saying "ignorance is bliss."

However, I completely agree with her when she says that being happy is A LOT of work. You need to write gratitude lists, stop yourself when you're having self-destructive thoughts and accept everything that life throws you in order to think of solutions to the problem instead of the actual problem. I personally try to remind myself to stay positive several times every day. I know the option is to go down a spiral that is very difficult to come out of.

I thought the "Recovering Jerk" was super interesting because I used to be pretty obnoxious myself. I know I have the tendency to sometimes think I know better than others even though I know it is so far from the truth. Instead of what happened in the text, having a professor tell me that was the case, I was once thrown into a situation where every single person around me had come way, way, way further in life, and shared knowledge I had no idea was even out there.

That is when my "humble phase" began and I started to listen more than I spoke. I started to read more and truly question everything I thought I knew. I still have moments where I'm a little too eager to share my opinions and I try to remind myself to slow down, to not let my ego take over, and to remember that I would not know what I know if it wasn't for other people.

"Don't Complain, Just Work Harder" sort of reminded me of Rubin's chapter. At least when it comes to how to stay positive and not complain. By giving examples of people who saw the bright side of life, one must wonder how and why that is. Maybe they did count their blessings, and maybe they did try to focus on what's good in life instead of anything else.

In "The Lost art of Thank-You Notes," I was reminded of what my mentor once told me when I applied for an internship I really wanted. He said "Send a hand-written thank-you note and I can pretty much guarantee you'll get it." I don't know to this day if that's what made it happen but I got the internship, so I can't do anything but agree to this text...

"Show Gratitude" also reminded me of my mentor who would always say that the way I can pay him back is by becoming successful and promise to help others the way he helped me, a.k.a to pay it forward.

"Be a Communitarian" goes along the lines with what Rubin described in the assigned chapter for this week. She spoke about how by helping others, we become happier. They're talking about volunteering in this text and how it impacts our lives for the better: "...when we're connected to others, we become better people." I really believe that's true. In a way, we do it to feel better about ourselves, but at the same time, we're helping our community so it's a win-win.

4 comments:

  1. Your use of relating to the readings with your personal experience is a super effective way to adding to the summary. It makes it way more interesting than just a summary.

    I also like the quote you used, "...when we're connected to others, we become better people". It's always interesting what others pick up that I didn't. I'm sure you feel the same way. The quote is all the more meaningful when you realize Pausch wrote knowing he was going to die shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a humble phase as well and something I am still working on. Listening is much more rewarding than spewing your own thoughts or beliefs. I also have to a tendency and urgency to give my opinion. I honestly enjoyed your post for many of the same reasons as AJ. *clap clap clap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I related a lot to the readings for this week too. I too spent much of my youth thinking about death and then one day felt like I wanted to be happy instead and set out to figure out how to make that happen. The readings for this week have great advice and perspectives on how to go about being a happier, kinder person and some of the ideas I've tried and practice, but also need reminders of.
    That's really awesome you have had a mentor to guide you in such positive ways and to look back on the remind you to pay it forward. That's something everyone could really use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That is when my "humble phase" began and I started to listen more than I spoke. I started to read more and truly question everything I thought I knew. I still have moments where I'm a little too eager to share my opinions and I try to remind myself to slow down, to not let my ego take over, and to remember that I would not know what I know if it wasn't for other people"

    I know we are suppose to be extremely specific about our compliments and criticisms, But I truly loved to read this paragraph, I related to it a lot.I feel this way too , I badly want to for a while just seal my lips, and learn from every one around me, because everyone has soo much to teach, but my need to talk sometimes trumps over my good sense.
    I loved how honest you are about your writing, that you can show so much of your self. I feel that not only makes your writing fun to read, but get the reader to instantly connect with you as well.

    ReplyDelete